迷你對話:
A: Have you found your watch?
你找到你的手表了嗎?
B: Not yet, but I have looked high and low.
好沒有呢,但是我到處找遍了。
A: Perhaps you lost in your office. I remembered you left it there last time.
也許,你把它落在辦公室了吧。我記得上次你就忘在辦公室了。
B: Yeah. Let me see. Perhaps I lost it in my drawer on Friday. Thank you for your reminding. You know it’s my birthday gift from my parents when I was fourteen. I like it very much.
是呀,讓我想一想。也許星期五的時候我把它放在抽屜里了,謝謝你的提醒。你知道那塊表是我十四歲的生日的時候父母送給我的生日禮物,我非常喜歡它。
地道表達:
look high and low
解詞釋義:
改詞語的意思就是“高處低處都找遍了”,意即:到處找遍。
支持范例:
I looked high and low for the key but I could not find it .
我哪兒都找遍了,可是沒找到那把鑰匙。
I've looked high and low for my wallet.
我上上下下地找我的錢包。
Bill looked high and low for his lost shoe.
Bill到處找他丟了的那只鞋。
詞海拾貝:
1. last time:上次
Eg. The last time (when) I saw him, he was quite well.
最后一次看到他時,他還相當健康。
Eg. You didn't get caught last time, but don't push your luck!
上次沒把你抓住,可別再碰運氣了!
2. a gift from:......送的禮物
Eg. I've received a gift from him, but I'm not going to accept it.
我收到了他送的禮物,但是我不準備接受。
Eg. To have such an easy examination paper is a gift from the God
碰到這樣容易的考卷,那是老天爺?shù)亩髻n。
要點提示:
Let me see.
譯文:讓我想想。
講解:see在這里的意思是“想想”。
更多信息請查看生活口語